Monday, August 11, 2014

Random Rant 1: Listening to music when you drive.

Recently, the aux cable I had in my car stopped working. Thus, I've had to listen to radio instead, and as you may know, radio stations tend to repeat songs. Again and again. And again. So I've been incredibly bored when driving longer distances. I have no motivation to try to pay attention to the music when "Fancy" plays for the 5th time in the same hour.  Of course, when I'm driving through the canyons, I prefer to turn off the music and roll down the windows to hear my exhaust note echo off the hills. But when I'm on the highway, it's just so boring without my favorite music. What's more important is that I begin to blankly stare off into the distance. I'd never do that before when I was listening to my favorite playlist. I'm usually a very alert driver.

I finally found another aux cable in my house, and realized just how much music affects my driving. I'm a lot more alert when I'm pretending to be Drizzy or Snoop than when I'm forced to listen to music I don't like. I'm guessing this would also deter people from getting bored and picking up their phones to text, etc. Of course this is just me. Maybe music distracts you? Either way, it's just interesting to think about how much of an impact music has on your driving performance. Maybe the Stig listens to music during laps for a reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment